Optimizing the implementation of the referral program is one of BPJS 'top programs. BPJS Health implements a referral program based on Medication Therapy Management. Medication therapy management interventions can reduce the frequency of drug-related problems, including non-compliance, and reduce health care costs. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the readiness of pharmacists in providing medication therapy management services This research uses a descriptive method by using a questionnaire as an instrument for data retrieval. The sampling technique is convenience sampling. The population is pharmacists who practice pharmaceutical services and are willing to fill out questionnaires. The result most pharmacists feel they have enough clinical knowledge and experience to provide MTM services. There are still many pharmacist workplaces (Puskesmas, Pharmacies and hospitals) that have not yet prepared to provide MTM services. Pharmacists think they have a desire to provide MTM services and have sufficient access to information in designing appropriate MTM services and pharmacists should be involved in providing MTM services. The obstacles faced by pharmacists in providing MTM services are insufficient time, insufficient human resources, limited space, limited information regarding MTM services, and the costs needed to implement MTM. Pharmacists are willing to provide Medication Therapy Management services but many obstacles remain. Training is needed so that pharmacists become more confident in providing clinical services.
2. Ai AL, Carretta H, Beitsch LM, Watson L, Munn J, Mehriary S. Medication therapy management programs: promises and pitfalls. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy. 2014;20(12):1162–1182.
3. Perlroth D, Marrufo G, Montesinos A, Lewis C, Dixit A, Li B, et al. Medication therapy management in chronically ill populations. 2013;
4. Viswanathan M, Kahwati LC, Golin CE, Blalock SJ, Coker-Schwimmer E, Posey R, et al. Medication Therapy Management Interventions in Outpatient Settings: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Jan 1;175(1):76–87.
5. Lin H-W, Lin C-H, Chang C-K, Chou C-Y, Yu I-W, Lin C-C, et al. Economic outcomes of pharmacist-physician medication therapy management for polypharmacy elderly: A prospective, randomized, controlled trial. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association. 2018 Mar 1;117(3):235–43.
6. Al-Tameemi NK, Sarriff A. Knowledge, attitude and practice of pharmacists on medication therapy management: a survey in Hospital Pulau Pinang, Penang, Malaysia. J Pharm Health Care Sci [Internet]. 2019 Jan 10 [cited 2019 Oct 9];5. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6327512/
7. Ferreri SP, Hughes TD, Snyder ME. Medication Therapy Management: Current Challenges. Integr Pharm Res Pract. 2020 Apr 2;9:71–81.
8. Erku DA, Ayele AA, Mekuria AB, Belachew SA, Hailemeskel B, Tegegn HG, et al. The impact of pharmacist-led medication therapy management on medication adherence in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled study. Pharmacy Practice (Granada) [Internet]. 2017 Sep [cited 2020 Jul 26];15(3). Available from: http://scielo.isciii.es/scielo.php?script=sci_abstract&pid=S1885-642X2017000300009&lng=es&nrm=iso&tlng=pt
9. Law AV, Okamoto MP, Brock K. Ready, willing, and able to provide MTM services?: A survey of community pharmacists in the USA. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. 2009;5(4):376–381.
10. Chiang Y-C, Lee C-N, Lin Y-M, Yen Y-H, Chen H-Y. Impact of a continuing education program on pharmacists’ knowledge and attitudes toward asthma patient care. Medical Principles and Practice. 2010;19(4):305–311.
11. Arya V, Pinto S, Khan T. Awareness of and readiness for medication therapy management among community pharmacists in New York City: results from a focus group. INNOVATIONS in pharmacy. 2013;4(2).
12. Moczygemba LR, Barner JC, Brown CM, Lawson KA. Patient satisfaction with a pharmacist-provided telephone medication therapy management program. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. 2010;6(2):143–54.
13. McGrath SH, Snyder ME, Dueñas GG, Pringle JL, Smith RB, McGivney MS. Physician perceptions of pharmacist-provided medication therapy management: qualitative analysis. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 2010;50(1):67–71.
14. Oladapo AO, Rascati KL. Review of survey articles regarding medication therapy management (MTM) services/programs in the United States. Journal of pharmacy practice. 2012;25(4):457–470.